International Government Strategy
Mission: Strategically integrate technology across all subjects in the Maltese Curriculum rather than only in Computing for 5 – 16 yr old students by:
- conducting a comprehensive audit of the national computing curriculum, technical infrastructure across schools and teachers’ technical skills
- providing digital curriculum mapping and ICT CPD training for teachers
- supporting infrastructure changes specific to each school’s needs
“From the very start, hi-impact brought their experience and expertise to the table but were also keen to embrace our ideas and suggestions, ensuring that the unique nature of our education system and structure featured heavily in this bespoke initiative.“
Keith Aquilina Education Officer (Quality Assurance) Maltese Ministry for Education
Client Industry: Ministry of Education (Malta)
Challenge: Aligning the Ministry of Education’s vision of technology across the national curriculum posed a number of challenges including:
- Synchronising the Ministry of Education’s vision with the practical needs of teachers.
- Identifying and overcoming local barriers to implementation.
- Meeting the practical needs of classroom teachers and their varying levels of expertise.
- Addressing Wi-Fi limitations hampering the integration of technical infrastructures.
- Introducing the Ministry’s 1-to-1 device policy in primary schools.
- Redefining the role of Technology Teachers commonly seen as primary technology deliverers.
- Overcoming a culture of ‘subjects being taught in silos’ underscored the importance of fostering interdisciplinary collaboration.
- A comprehensive audit of resources, equipment, accessibility, expertise and current provision in education settings.
- Collaboration with Malta Education Officers and Technology Teachers for seamless integration of technology.
- Curriculum mapping to strategically incorporate technology into both primary and secondary settings.
- Enhanced teachers’ expertise through collaborative efforts and CPD Training.
- A context-specific approach to identify and address local barriers to implementation.
hi-impact partnered with the Maltese Department of Digital Literacy, an arm of the Ministry of Education, on “Impact Malta”: an initiative to integrate technology and computing skills across the curriculum and not just in Computing classes alone for students aged 5 -16 yrs.
- Comprehensive Audit: Examined the national computing curriculum, teachers’ computing skills and technical infrastructure across schools.
- Outcomes: Produced technology maps for all schools, developed ICT training materials, and trained all Technology Teachers nationwide.
- Success: The Ministry of Education invited us for a follow-up review highlighting the initiative’s achievements.
Technical Infrastructure and Support
Leveraging 15 years of experience in UK education, hi-impact resolved local implementation barriers with expertise in Google, Microsoft, Wi-Fi and networking. Google Partner status facilitated a seamless transition to a Chrome and Google learning environment, enhancing collaboration with local technical support services.
Implementing Computing and Technology across the Curriculum
The hi-impact collaboration with the Ministry of Education achieved a 100% completion rate in curriculum mapping training for Technology Teachers. Within two months, hi-impact assisted Maltese teachers to successfully generate technology maps for all schools in Malta. Our bespoke training ensured strategic planning, practical application and continuous evaluation which catered to the evolving needs of the schools.
Contact us to find out more information about how hi-impact can help you integrate technology across your curriculum.